WHY CHOOSE ORGANIC?
“Our primary health care should begin on the farm and in our hearts, and not in some laboratory of the biotech and pharmaceutical companies.” Gary Hopkins
You deserve your food to be just how Mother Nature intended it to be - Unadulterated by the unregulated use of harmful pesticides, chemical fertilizers and ionising radiations. There has been unprecedented increase in cases of reported and researched health issues surfacing from consumption of food laden with pesticides and chemicals and consumption has been linked to increased risk of Breast Cancer in Women, other forms of cancers and Parkinson’s disease in adults and variety of ailments in children. In addition, research suggests that pregnant women, infants and young kids are especially susceptible to the toxic effects.
Below is summary of some recent research on impact of pesticides and harmful chemicals on health.
- Negative health impact of pesticides:
- Research by scientists at the Harvard University School of Public Health published in “Pediatrics" in June 2010 discovered that exposure to organophosphates may contribute to the prevalence of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children. Children who switch to organic produce no longer have significant levels of organophosphates in their urine, according to research by scientists at Emory University published in "Environmental Health Perspectives" in April 2008.
- 2, 4-D, Chlordane and Malathion - these three pesticides were associated with increased risk of breast cancer in a study of Latina women recently diagnosed with the disease. The risks were highest in young women and those diagnosed with breast cancer early in life
- DDT - While DDT has largely been banned for agricultural use worldwide, it is still used in some countries including India for malaria control and shows up in humans and animals even where it has not been used for decades. Evidence continues to mount regarding DDT's health effects, including evidence that earlier exposures to the chemical may affect risk of breast cancer risk decades later. For example, laboratory studies have found that, in addition to being directly genotoxic or carcinogenic (Canales-Aguirre, 2011), the estrogen-like form of DDT enhances the growth of estrogen-receptor-positive (ER+) mammary tumors (Robison, 1985; Scribner, 1981; Uppala, 2005).This serves as a cautionary tale regarding our use of other pesticides without full safety data.
- Exposure to a combination of the pesticide maneb and the herbicide paraquat increases risks of Parkinson’s disease, especially in young people, according to research by scientists at the University of California in Berkeley published in the "American Journal of Epidemiology" in April 2009
- Health impact of preservatives:Manufacturers use preservatives such as nitrites and sulfites in processed foods to inhibit growth of microorganisms and increase shelf life. Yet these preservatives increase your health risk. Nitrites are common preservatives used in processed meats and fish to prevent bacterial growth. Your body converts nitrites to carcinogenic substances called nitrosamines
- Research by Susanna Larsson at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm published in the "International Journal of Cancer" in August 2006 found that increased nitrosamine consumption from processed meat increases the risk of stomach cancer.
- Sulfites used to preserve dried fruits, fruit juices, wine and beer may increase the risk of asthma attacks, according to the Cleveland Clinic
- Health impact of artificial colours: The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer advocacy group, reports that caramel coloring used in many popular cola soft drinks contains two chemicals called 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimadazole that cause cancers of the lungs, liver and thyroid and leukemia. Food colorings such as Yellow No. 5, 6 and10 and Red No. 40 can increase the risk of or exacerbate hyperactive behavior in children.
Bottom-line is that the negative health effects of food containing chemicals and harmful pesticides can be quite significant. Many researchers believe we are only seeing the top of an iceberg as far as health impact is concerned as research works done on the topics are only a recent phenomenon.
- "Pediatrics"; Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Urinary Metabolites of Organophosphate Pesticides; Maryse Bouchard, et al.; Jun 2010
- "Environmental Health Perspectives"; Dietary Intake and Its Contribution to Longitudinal Organophosphorus Pesticide Exposure in Urban/Suburban Children; Chensheng Lu, et al.; Apr 2008
- "American Journal of Epidemiology"; Parkinson's Disease and Residential Exposure to Maneb and Paraquat from Agricultural Applications in the Central Valley of California; Sadie Costello, et al.; Apr 15 2009
- "International Journal of Cancer"; Processed Meat Consumption, Dietary Nitrosamines and Stomach Cancer Risk in a Cohort of Swedish Women; Susanna Larsson, et al.; Aug 15 2006
- Center For Science in the Public Interest; Fda Urged to Prohibit Carcinogenic "Caramel Coloring"; February 16 2011
HOW CAN I IDENTIFY ORGANIC PRODUCTS?
First time buyers specially get anxious about the authenticity of the products. We assure you the products labelled as organic on our site are certified and tested products. This ensures no sub-standard product ever reaches your doorstep. Premium quality is assured. You can identify organic products by looking for these quality standards:
USA – USDA Organic Seal.
Europe – EU Organic Farming Logo.
India – India Organic (NPOP).
The NPOP standards for production and accreditation system have been recognized by European Commission and Switzerland as equivalent to their country standards. Similarly, USDA has recognized NPOP conformity assessment procedures of accreditation as equivalent to that of US.
All the products we list are NPOP certified.
HOW DOES CERTIFICATION WORK?
Understanding the detailed certification process can be a tedious and daunting task. So, we have attempted to explain in simple way for you.
Organic Certification is the procedure by which a written assurance is given on the authenticity of the products being produced. A Certification Agency inspects the entire production and processing system and once it conforms to the requirements of the standards the certification is given.
If the requirements are met, ORGANIC certification is provided. This makes sure that the produce you get is inspected and is true to the word “Organic”. A lot of products are said to be organic but have no certification to show for it. All Things Organic makes sure all the food products we list are certified and tested.
All certification agencies in India are regulated by Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)
ORGANIC ORIGINS is also NPOP (National Program for Organic Certification) certified thus making sure the chain from top to bottom is certified and the produce is always regulated.
It is also required by the standards that one can only apply for the certification in their third year of organic farming. This way the soil and the entire process is organic in nature and pesticide free. So briefly the process is:
- Application by farmer/producer/processor.
- Application review and risk assessment.
- Onsite audit ( Interview of concerned personnel, onsite investigation of field/processing/storage, verification of practices and inputs employed )
- Lab Testing of produce, verification of records maintained by the farmer/producer and yield estimation etc.
- Informing farmer/producer/processor r of the non-compliant actions and improvements to be done.
- Assessment of the necessary actions taken by the farmer/producer/processor.
- Issuance/Denial of scope certification accordingly.
FARM TRACEABILITY PROGRAM - FOOTPRINTS
ORGANIC ORIGINS launches India’s first and unique Farm Traceability Program for fresh produce. Under this program, we give our customers the option to be connected with and track the farms and farmers who are providing them with the nourishing goodness in form of food delivered to you. Each of our fruits and vegetables products under the this brand come marked with unique QR codes that allow you to find out which farm the produce originated from. This captures all the information of the farmer and farms.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON USING QR CODES TO TRACE YOUR FOOD TO THE FARM
Step 1: Download a free QR code reader app like Quick Scan.
Step 2: Scan the QR code on your product label.
Step 3: Read the details on the farm and farmer where the product was grown.
We share a strong bond with the farming community and hope that by way of this program not only do you get the trust in the produce coming to your doorstep but the farmers get their due recognition as well. We want to achieve that and help our farmers reach out to more and more customers.
Our team works very closely with the farms whose produce we offer. This gives us the unique opportunity to offer you opportunities to attend special farm visits that our team organizes from time to time.
If you buy organic food, it also encourages the farmers to produce more. Let’s join our hands together and work towards a healthier and natural lifestyle just how nature intended it to be.
“To spread awareness and enable people to live a TRULY GOOD LIFE - life that goes beyond ordinary luxury to the ultimate luxury of having our bodies nourished by premium organic & natural products, sourced ethically and farmed sustainably.”
- Ethics and transparency
Ethics and transparency are the core pillars of our business and manifest in everything we do. Infact lack of these two values in field of agriculture and food is one of the primary reasons we decided to come in existence. We therefore maintain very high standards of professional ethics right from sourcing to handling to delivery. Fair Trade and value to farmers is core to the sourcing approach.
Consumer transparency and awareness is equally critical to us so you are never in doubt about ingredients in products, origin of fresh produce, authenticity about claims and certifications. We have implemented very high standards for selecting brands and partners we put on the platform and only allow certified Organic products – taking the guess work out for you.In addition, our farm traceability program FOOTPRINTS for fresh produce is very unique and first in India. It allows you to know the exact farm from which your products come and the pesticide testing reports while simultaneously giving due recognition tofarmers who make sure that you enjoy a healthier and unadulterated lifestyle.
- Community Upliftment
All Things Organic is committed to working with and developing local and under-privileged communities. We believe as a human race and society we are nothing with-out the support of the multiple communities that come together to support and sustain us. It’s therefore our obligation to give back and especially to the remote and under-privilegedcommunities. To the society because our business is nothing without our farmers and well-wishers. As a mark of this commitment we mark aside and give 3% of our profits to the communities. We also employ people willing to learn and work in our team such as the packaging team.
- Customer Satisfaction
We believe any business is only as successful as its customers’ satisfaction. We are a marketplace dedicated to provide you with not just the best products but also the best service. Three things come together to define our customer satisfaction commitment:
- ORGANIC ORIGINS: Our name itself captures the biggest commitment of getting you all organics products that are critical for your health and well-being. We are the only platform to offer both fresh produce and choicest selection of brands in other categories
- ONLY CERTIFIED:We list only certified organic products on the site along with the relevant certifications for you to identify easily
- UNPARALLEDED DELIVERY AND CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE:
The team lives and breathes our mission and values and you will be sure to notice it all through interactions with us. This is a bunch of people who are energised with the possibilities – possibility of a healthier human race, thriving local communities and healthier environment!